8/5/10

A Piece of History

the other day I visited my grandma and grandpa. We looked through pictures from their childhood and I think it is very fascinating. I really love this piece of history the "normal" but for me very real piece, since it's about my family.

Old pictures fascinates me, the picture below is of my Grandma and her family, the little girl to the far right is her. She told me about this picture and I don't really want to be to philosophical about this but I really think that it is interesting.

She tells me that one day the photographer came to their home and they all had to get dressed up to be in the picture. The first picture she showed me is like the one below but without the horses, when the family portrait is done her father also wants some pictures with the horses.

What I think is interesting especially in the first picture that I don't have here but it looks almost the same, is that nobody is smiling and evidently it wasn't important. The point of the picture was really only to preserve a memory of what the family looked like not who they were or what they felt. Then it was important to show their assets, the horses, their pride and I just think this really shows how our priorities has change.

If I take a family portrait in 2010 it is very important for me that the is a lot of warm happy feelings in the picture, that's what I want to preserve for the future.

I don't write this with any feelings of good or bad I'm just very thankful the even in the 1930 they thought it was important to document their life, to capture a little piece of time in a picture, just what I love to do more than anything.
E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers